Goodwood

Goodwood

Thursday 4 October 2012

To celebrate National Poetry Day


Myfanwy


You are still, so still, my dear Myfanwy.
Why you? Why now? My heart must cry.
Let me hold you close, my dear Myfanwy,
I did not have time to say goodbye.
My world is shattered with out you,
How can I face my life alone?
God! Tell me why you took my dear one,
Is this compassion you have shown?

I remember when, my dear Myfanwy,
We met, those many years ago.
Our hearts were one from the beginning,
And we knew our love would flower and grow.
We have known life’s happiness and pleasures,
Such treasured memories we shared.
In all our days of closeness, dear
Myfanwy, beauteously you cared.

You have flown my love to heavenly pastures,
Your frail warmth fading on my breast,
Yet in my heart you shall be with me,
Though no longer sharing life’s quest,
Today, fate blessedly released you
From anguished suffering and pain;
In gods safe hands, sleep deeply, dear
Myfanwy, ‘til we meet again.



By G. E. Phelps (my dad) - Written in Portugal early 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment