Goodwood

Goodwood

Friday 13 April 2012

O… is for… Objects of desire (Tues 17.4.12 posted early)

A toilet block!

On Sat 7.4.12 I read that Thomas KinKaide had died. This lovely creative artist had passed away from natural causes. He was 54. No age at all and certainly not old.

I had the pleasure of watching him paint around twelve to fifteen years ago. I was lucky enough to be in Carmel, CA on the day Thomas chose to paint on the lawn. As he daubed paint on the canvas he talked, told us a story. I was mesmerized.

From a sketchy start this picture developed into a beautiful image, a warm inviting ambience emanated from the canvas. The building he had chosen to interpret was a toilet block, purpose built, ugly and utilitarian, surrounded by low shrubbery.

The result was fascinating. I wanted to own the picture. Even though I knew its providence, his brush strokes transformed the real world into a magical vision.

I only hope that my words can achieve a similar transformation… for readers.

RIP Thomas KinKaide He was a known as ‘a Painter of Light – to me he shall be remembered as a painter of magical words, exquisite ideas and miraculous thoughts.

1957-2012 gone but not forgotten

3 comments:

  1. I love his paintings. And I didn't know he was that young. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decided to look him up, as I wasn't familiar with his work. I didn't realise he had sold more canvases than any painter ever!

    I imagine his beautiful paintings will increase in value year by year. Such a shame he was taken so young.

    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy & Maria - thank you for dropping by & leaving a comment Kay

    ReplyDelete