Goodwood

Goodwood

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Out of the mouths of babes

I am blessed because I have five nieces which is great for me because I don’t have a daughter. What fascinates me is that they are individual girls and no two are close to being the same, despite having similar family backgrounds. They all have their own quirks and personal idiosyncrasies yet they are all like me. And the other reason I know I’m lucky is that I get to play with part time them and then send them home, it’s bliss.

One to the younger ones: very sweet, clever and manipulative from an early age.
Tumbling brunette locks and a brilliant smile with a very quick witted mind. At the tender age of three she knew exactly how to achieve her aims. I was impressed and terrified all in the same breath.

One day she stood quite still in the kitchen and wrapped her hands over her eyes and said: ‘you can’t see me Auntie Kay, I’m invisible!’

It was tough I could barely resist not bursting out and collapsing into a heap of giggles… the innocence of a remark like this can catch one completely off guard. But I shall not forget it… because it was a wonderful lesson in perspective.

As far as she was concerned I should not be able to see her because she could not see me. If only it was that simple in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment